It's happened to all of us . We've listened to music all our lives and subconsciously filled in the gaps , there's nothing wrong with that . However when we come to singing the lyrics out loud, that's when the fun starts. Even nonsensical lyrics, we stand by even in the face of overwhelming evidence. Whilst we know the sixties saw a more understanding view on life, Hendrix never actually excused himself while he kissed any guy ! And why on earth would Creedence Clearwater Revival be giving you directions to the bathroom ( on the right ) during their rousing 'Bad Moon Rising' ? With this in mind we have sought to compile our top 5 favourite misheard lyrics ;
- Doughnuts Make My Brown Eyes Blue (Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue)
- You Ate Nothin' but a Hound Dog (You ain't nothin' but a Hound Dog)
- We Built This City on Sausage Roll (We Built This City On Rock and Roll)
- See that girl, watch her scream, kickin' the Dancin' Queen (See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the Dancing Queen)
- Everybody in a wholesale frock was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock (Everybody in the whole cell block was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock)
The comedian Peter Kay understands perfectly this common phenomenon and attempts to go to the heart of the matter in his 'The Tour That Doesn't Tour Tour.'