Summer is just around the corner (we all hope!), which means BBQs and big, beautiful delicious salads. And for fresh, seasonal English produce, this is the absolute best time of year.
This salad tastes of summer, and the creaminess of the goats cheese against the sweetness of the strawberries and the sharpness of the balsamic works perfectly. As the hero of the dish, here are just a few reasons why strawberries are wonderful for your health too:
- They contain quercetin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help the body to fight against hayfever
- Strawberries are bursting with vitamin C- famous for its immune boosting properties, but also required to make collagen for glowing skin and glossy hair
- They are a rich source of ellagic acid which has anti-cancer properties
This salad makes a wonderful light lunch, or you may want to add either some grilled chicken breast or avocado to make it a more substantial meal. It would also be delicious accompanied by your BBQ meat or fish.
5 ingredients: strawberries, spinach, flaked almonds, goats cheese, balsamic vinegar
From the store cupboard:extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the salad
2 punnets English strawberries, quartered
1 large bag spinach
50g flaked almonds
Small log soft goats cheese
For the dressing
6 strawberries (taken from one of the punnets)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper
1. To make the dressing- mix all the dressing ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
2. Put the flaked almonds on a baking tray in a 180°C oven and bake for about 5 minutes, keeping a close eye and shaking the tray a couple of times (or, for convenience you can buy a packet of toasted almonds)
3. In a large bowl, combine the baby spinach and chopped strawberries. Add a good splash of the dressing and toss together.
4. Divide among plates (or onto a large plate/platter so people can help themselves) and top with sliced almonds, crumbled goats cheese and the rest of the dressing.