Coconut oil is all the rage these days. We suggest you use it to replace butter or oil in your favourite recipes. The coconut has always been an important food source for people living in the tropical areas of Asia, Africa, the Pacific and South America. In many countries it’s been used for generations and generations and it’s becoming much more popular in the UK now.
It’s thought to promote and support good health and great cooking, requires more energy to digest which leads to increased energy expenditure and a faster metabolism.
Pressed from the fruit of the coconut palm tree, coconut oil is ideal for light lunches and subtly flavoured dishes. It gives a perfect hint of coconut flavour to ethnic dishes like Spicy Miso Soup. It’s divine in baked goods, desserts, confections and smoothies — try our Rich chocolate and coconut recipe. Use it to cook veggies or drizzle over popcorn, for a delicious, can’t-quite-place-it flavour.
If you’ve never cooked with coconut oil, you’re in for a treat. Look for a certified organic, virgin product as it is purer and closer to the natural state of a fresh coconut than refined oils which use chemicals in their processing. Our Spring Chicken Organic Virgin Coconut Oil has a soft coconut aroma and slight coconut flavour and has a high smoke point, so it is less likely to degrade during cooking than other oils.
Thinking of using some coconut oil recipes? Why not give these tips a try:
- Melt over hot cooked grains, cereals and veggies instead of butter.
- Stir a spoonful into hot cooked soups, stews and chillies.
- Scramble eggs in coconut oil, or melt over hot, poached eggs.
- Use in bread baking.
- Stir or cook into curry dishes.
- Make potato or Pancakes cooked in coconut oil.
- Spread over French toast, whole grain toast, muffins, pancakes and waffles.
- Sauté favourite veggies in coconut oil, add cooked legumes (great time to use your canned beans or lentils!) and spices for a quick, delicious meal.
- Rub a chicken with coconut oil and seasonings before roasting.
- Pan-fry fish in coconut oil.
- Cook bananas in coconut oil with nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.
- Make hot cocoa and stir in a spoonful of coconut oil.