Did you know?
- The scientific name for coconut is Cocos nucifera.
- Early Spanish explorers called it coco, which means “monkey face” because the three indentations (eyes) on the hairy nut resembles the head and face of a monkey.
- Nucifera means “nut-bearing.”
- Nearly one third of the world’s population depends on coconut to some degree for their food and their economy.
- Pacific Islanders consider coconut oil to be the cure for all illness.
- The coconut palm is so highly valued by them as both a source of food and medicine that it is called “The Tree of Life.”
- It takes 4 years for a tree to mature and bear fruit.
- Our coconuts are harvested at 10 months old, this is when the meat is at its most nutritious.
- We source from plantations with 60 trees to every acre.
- Our coconuts are harvested by very long cutters for the ground for maximum safety.
Shop for Spring Chicken’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil here. £9.95 for 500ml or £17.95 for 1 litre.